Thursday 28 August 2008

Messages of support

Below are a few of the messages we have received in the last few days:

"I am shocked to hear of these redundancies and seriously worried for the future of the Star and all who work for this vital local newspaper. I am aware that the workforce has already been cut to the quick and that you have been working under enormous pressure and unable to cover stories in the way you would wish.

"You certainly have my support in your battle to Save Our Star."
Cllr Jillian Creasy
Green Party



"The Star must not be decimated as it provides a valuable source of information and enjoyment for the people of Sheffield and especially councillors. When I want to know what my councillor colleagues have been doing, I read the Star.

"Many immobile residents look forward to The Star popping through their letter box - I know my elderly Dad does - and it provides them with enjoyment and entertainment within their own home."
Councillor Denise Reaney
Gleadless Valley Ward


"The management should understand that cutting staff means a cut in reporting and ultimately a cut in readership."
Fergal MacErlean
Freelance journalist
Scotland


"I was shocked to read that the Star is facing cuts, and that the Rotherham and Barnsley offices might close. Does this mean the end of a venerable career for the legendary Ray Parkin, the man who taught me everything I ever needed to know about reporting during my sojourn at the Rotherham office in 1979-8?

"Those district offices were wonderful - wonderful for the dedication of people like Ray who've spent a lifetime serving the communities they've lived in, and wonderful as training for green young reporters like me who got a thorough grounding in the practice of journalism from immensely experienced hands like Ray and Bill Auckland.

"I hope the offices can be saved, the the folk from Rotherham and Barnsley will go on enjoying great news coverage from a a great newspaper."
James Roberson

BBC TV
Nottingham NG2 4UU
(Rotherham and Sheffield Star 1979-81)



No comments: